9.12.08

Behind the curtains in Talk Radio...


I worked in radio for close to two decades, in all flavors of position. From music director to afternoon drive host and as news director. I've watched the meteoric rise of Conservative Talk from the sidelines, generally, but worked in stations where it was "piped in."
In all my years, I've never read a better assessment as to why it works, and what the strange appeals is to these seemingly ridiculous programs with incendiary, window-licking hosts.
Every suspicion is confirmed here.
One of the true insiders behind Charlie Sykes steps behind the giant wall with the ogre face and pulls back the curtain, revealing not only our inner-most fears, but our desire to follow crowds, ideas and philosophies, whether tepid and meek or riotous and angry.
Mike Shelley's posting should be standard reading for anyone who EVER listens to Talk Radio, regardless of political affiliation.
He nails it, baby.
And it scares me more than it probably should.
Enjoy, and tell me what you think.

1 comment:

Teaparty said...

I would comment, but I haven't been led lemming-like into the proper, angry, state of mind.

I'll let you know what I think when Rush Limbaugh tells me what I think.